What are Special Educational Needs?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability that calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person who has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning that the majority of others of the same age, or
  • has a disability which hinders him or her from making use of the facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or post-16 institutions (DfE, 2015, p. 16)